The juxtaposition of different spatial places
By Antonino Cardillo
The reinforced concrete frame of an existing house looks here like an abstract geography, an irrational place on and with which to rewrite space. From the street the house looks like a tower seated on the slope of a grassy lawn. It brings together primary volumes and fluid objects with curvilinear structures, with the aim of building an organism arising from the juxtaposition of diverse spatial places which are nonetheless continuous and interconnected. At the bottom of the site, a wall defined by its internal contents is in contrast with the tower whilst sharing its base. A coordinated succession of shapes and supple lines shows off a prismatic and sharp triple height. From dusk till dawn, the external glass walls allow sun and sky to continuously reinterpret the architectural discourse, shifting its perception and plasticity.
By Antonino Cardillo
- Time: March‑May 2003
- Place: Via Principe di Lampedusa, Erice, Italy
- Area: 350 m² (three storeys)
- Typology: semi-detached house
- Architecture design: Antonino Cardillo
- Client: confidential
- Structural analysis: Pietro Maltese
- Antonino Cardillo, ‘Dualistic House in Erice’, in Best selection of Shanglin, ed. Hu Yanli, Shanglin A&C, Hong Kong, July 2010, pp. 20‑23.
- Antonino Cardillo, ‘Studio Antonino Cardillo’, Made, no. 9, ed. Benedetta Bagni, Milan, Aug. 2008, pp. 64‑71.
- Jordan Krosnakov, ‘Антонино Кардильо’, Мебелен Дизайн, no. 5/07, Sofia, Oct. 2007, p. 107.
- Antonino Cardillo, ‘具有双重空间的居所, 建筑空间的纽带’, Landscape Architect, Dalian, 20 Sept. 2007, pp. 8‑11.
- World Architecture News, ‘House of year 2006’ [pdf], worldarchitecturenews.com, London, 9 Feb. 2007.
- Antonino Cardillo, ‘Double take on space’ , worldarchitecturenews.com, London, 13 Dec. 2006.
- Antonino Cardillo, ‘Casa in Erice’, Siciliarchitettura_06, ed. Domenico Cogliandro, EXPA, Palermo, 2006, pp. 26‑27.
- Anonymous, ‘Osservatorio sulla costruzione italiana’, D’Architettura, no. 25, Milan, Sept. 2004, p. 57.